There are different ways of doing the same thing. There are many NGOs, INGOs and GOs working for poverty reduction. All these related organizations do the same, but MRC Nepal for achieving the result and outcome do the same thing differently. The uniqueness of MRC for assuring the success at grass root level are as follows:
- Local Human Resource Development (LHRD) at grass root level as village level technical cadre to deliver the services to the need of group members.
- Technology testing and introduction first in model plots/model village as a learning center/school and scale up production and commercialization for income generation.
- Action research with the participation of the farmers for the socio-economic verification of any IGAs has to be carried out.
- Holistic approach for increasing income with due consideration of the system as a whole, i.e. use of all potential IGAs for reducing poverty of rural poor along with the supportive program such as health, education and human rights.
- Local contribution is mandatory. There is nothing free; therefore, there is gradual decrease in the subsidy. (75, 50,25,0 % in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year respectively in the program on only external inputs).
- Learning organization. MRC approach for poverty reduction takes the gradual steps, so that the group and MRC both learn in each step and from the learning of the first year proceed for second year.
- MRC only support the local initiatives. The local people do not take programs imposed by the external agencies because real needs are not identified. MRC program are clearly the participatory and based on the bottom up approach.
- People centered program can only get attention of the local people and community resilience is the priority. The increase in the income is for the people. Social aspect of the development is very important. Therefore, joint learning of MRC, on both social and economic aspect help MRC to focus its program people centered. Social development activities are based on strengthening institutional development manner in the form of group approach resulting functional and viable group, semi-credit mobilization and linking with micro finance.
- Friendly environment for the agricultural production. Chemicals application for the production is highly discouraged and encouraged for the organic In due consideration of human health and environment.
- Commercial production linking with marketing services enables sustainability of project.
- Program sustainability is the due consideration where exit strategies have developed based on strong basic of sustainability. Group federation, registration, networking, linkage and coordination at all level have helped to develop.